At the age of 17 Dion decided to pick up the double bass. Brought up by jazz, improvised music and pop, he is exploring the possibilities of him and his instrument every day along with many other musicians.
Dion teaches double bass at the Jazz & Pop department of the ArtEZ Conservatory in Arnhem.
- Thanks to Balkonscenes of Fonds Podium Kunsten I will be performing 5 times this summer with cellist Rogier Hornman. We call our collaboration RAKE SNAREN. Touching fingers, strings, minds and music. This is our little summer tour through our hometown (Utrecht): June 27 BUI Picnic Concert @ De Onderbuik (Utrecht), July 4 De Kersentuin, Utrecht, July 11 Stek ism Zimihc, July 1, Concert Under the Yellow Bridge, August 20 Landhuis in de Stad. Besides this Balkonscenes-series of concerts Rake Snaren will also be performing at Klankkast @ Café Bosch in Arnhem on August 19th!
- Mischa Andriessen says in TROUW about my solo-cd I PLAY ME: The honesty of this music is appealing.
- Rinus van der Heijden writes an intens review about my cd I PLAY ME: ‘I Play Me is een prachtplaat. Geheel akoestisch smeedt Dion Nijland een verbond met zijn contrabas. Hij strijkt, plukt, vervormt..’
- I PLAY ME is the title of Dion’s solo double bass cd. It will be released on Trytone in June 2021. Read more.
- New CD Reflections of Duke by HOT & Brass is received enthousiastic by the press! Read this review by Rinus van der Heijden.
- GIST is a collective of musicians from Utrecht. September 3rd 2020 the first GIST Festival took place! Gist will continue at the Museum Speelklok from September 2021 on.
- 19 August, Rake Snaren, Klankkast, Café Bosch, Arnhem, 20.00
- 20 August, Rake Snaren, Landhuis in de Stad, Park Ook in Al, Utrecht, 15.00
- 27 August, Ad Colen’s A Birds Eye View, Zomerfestival Genk (B), 20.00
- 28 Augus, HOT & Brass, ZomerJazzFietsTour, Kloosterkerk in Aduard, (Gr), 11.00/12.30/14.00 (3x!)
- 28 August, Ad Colen’s A Birds Eye View, ZomerJazzFietsTour, Sauwerd (Gr), 16.15/17.30/1915 (3x!)
- 31 August, HOT (trio), Standards of Sweelinck, Stevenskerk, Nijmegen, 20.00